Thursday, August 23, 2007

Millefoglie and other Pastry Delights in Rome

MillefoglieTemptation is on every corner of every street. Fruit tarts stare at you from the protection of their refrigerated case. Quiet voices penetrate the surrounding street noise, whispering “we are so good and you can’t have us!” A round cream covered cake from the back row, emboldened by her smaller colleagues, becomes impertinent “Don’t even think about it with that life preserver permanently affixed to your waist!” The prodding continues as the Sacher Torta decides to wield the final blow without mercy, “Chocolate with apricot jam smothered in a dark chocolate ganasce will surely satisfy your growing craze but can you afford a new pair of pants?”

MimosaHow dare they challenge me? Such arrogance from a dessert designed to satisfy my sweet tooth and never ending chocolate craving. “I will have you,” becomes my immediate objective. No threat of losing the battle of the bulge will make me shrink away from such a worthy foe. I enter the store and quickly engage in taking control of those insignificant little treats.

MousseSome of you can appreciate my battle. Some will think I am superficial to give such importance to food. I confess, I have a sweet tooth. I love chocolate, fruity tarts, soft cakes covered in flavored creams and creampuffs of all sorts. Italy has many shops who take the art of baking to an entirely new level. In Rome one of these is the Pasticceria Cavalletti. Pasticcera Cavalletti in Via Nemorense has been making pastries since 1951. They produce their sweets by hand with fresh ingredients. There is no doubt about their professional capability. One nibble lets you know they know their business.

Some places will entice you with great looking presentations then you are somehow disappointed as the balance and flavour do not meet your expectations. Do not get me wrong the presentation is important but the natural flavours must explode. A perfect dessert is texture and flavour. I think about it like snuggling under the comforter on a cold winters morning. The experience is enveloping.

If you are in Rome and want to taste those Italian desserts the way they should taste then the Pasticceria Cavaletti, via Nemorense 179/181 is a stop for you.

Tags:



Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dianne said...

Beautifull writing David!

:)

7:49 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Dianne Thank you.

9:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home