Thursday, July 06, 2006

Palazzo Pitti Florence – Grandeur of a Royal Palace – Destination of Wonder

Palazzo Pitti is one of the marvels of Florence. It is a marvel for the unique and rare works of art it contains and it is a marvel for its grandeur. Over the centuries occasionally the numerous great talents of mankind find themselves working on the same project. Palazzo Pitti is one of these wonders. In 1440, Palazzo Pitti was designed by Brunelleschi for the Florentine trader Luca Pitti. This amazing work continued for 5 centuries. It was purchased by the De’ Medici Family in the 1500s and the Savoia family in the 1800s. During the Savoia family rule it served as the royal palace. Finally the palazzo was transferred to the State of Italy upon the creation of the republic.

The Florentines rarely refer to Palazzo Pitti the royal palace by. They felt this diminished its true grandeur. Grand it is, covering 24 hectars, Palazzo Pitti houses numerous museums and galleries. The building itself is one of Brunelleschi’s architectural works of art. Raffaello and Tiziano adorned the walls with intricate and colorful mural. Boboli’s statues watch thoughtfully the gardens and halls and Studoli Lorenzo’s bronze Neptune commands reverence. Palazzo Pitti houses one of the greatest symbols of sensual persuasion, Giambologna’s Venere nuda.

Any trip to Florence should include a visit to Palazzo Pitti but for those with a true passion of art Palazzo Pitti could be a primary destination. Many afternoons I have spent meandering along the halls and in the gardens, each time amazed at how much I had missed the time before. Often I have found myself mesmerized by the use of color in this or that painting or amazed by the detail and insight of a sculpture. Florence has much to offer, Palazzo Uffizi, the Duomo and Battistero among others, but Palazzo Pitti is a “must see” destination.


Tags:


Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Lana said...

Thank You for stopping by.
The Flower Picture was taken at the Horicon Wildlife Refuge here in Wisconsin. This Wildflower grows all over wisconsin. Like you Blue Bonnets grew there.

3:38 PM

 
Blogger Lana said...

Oh by the way I love your choo choo.
Vote for you all time because of it.

3:39 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Bozette There is a story about the choo choo.

When I was young I would spend the summer on the farm in southern Georgia with my grandfather. I would take the train from DC every summer ( today I think they would be arrested for sending an 8 year old on a 2 day train trip alone ). I loved the time on the farm and the one on one with my grandfather, I have 5 siblings and I am right in the middle.

When I first went to Italy I would sit for hours and watch the trains leave and arrive at the station in Milan. It represented adventure and a new beggining and it gave me hope and vision of the future.

I understand that many think my little choo choo does not fit but it ties everything together for me.

3:52 PM

 
Blogger Lana said...

wow intertesting thank you for the information.

3:52 PM

 
Blogger Lana said...

My husband is a big train nut we spend hours sitting on the side of railraod tracks watching them go by and taking pictures.

3:55 PM

 
Blogger Doll Face said...

Is that the Medici family that tried to stop the Borgia family from ruling when Borgia ruled the Vatican?

I wish I found your site BEFORE I want to Italy...

6:52 PM

 
Blogger Quindigo said...

Travel Italy: is it like the Italian trains, always late? :)

I have to confess...I'm addicted to your blog. I loved Italy from the moment I crossed the border, tasted gelato or pesto, or listened to an Italian speak to me with gestures and facial expressions only.

The first step I took in Rome made me finally feel alive...thank you for reminding me of such a wonderful culture and place.

8:05 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Thanks for the memories of Firenze :).

11:00 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Natalie Your history is very good. At one time the position of Pope was political and not religion. Popes had lovers, children, and feuds. The de'Medici family began the end of the papal reign of the Kings of Napoli, better known as the Borgia.

The de'Medici family concentrated its power with 2 popes almost in succession. This ended a long line of Borgia as pope.

6:26 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Quindigo - Thank you for the compliment. Italy can do that to you and leave you wanting for more!

Quindigo authors Say Anything a blog about, obviously, anything!

6:30 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

ChickBabe There is always time for new memories. This Fall should be a great time to visit Italy.

6:41 AM

 
Blogger Doll Face said...

Thank you! I wish wish wish my knowlege of history was better, so much to learn, how much is in the newspaper today in Sydney times that by how many cities/countries over thousands of years...

8:15 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Natalie I think it is so cool that the newspapers have a travel and culture section. If they are publishing information it means that people are interested and reading. This is a great sign.

For many years I have thought that newspapers should offer more informative articles and less sensationalism.

6:07 AM

 
Blogger Doll Face said...

Lets start a petition and implement it!?

9:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home