Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Lupicaia IGT 1999 – Pleasure in a bottle

Lupicaia, an IGT Super Tuscan by Rossi di Medelana, is gluttonous pleasure. It costs about $150 retail and $250 in a restaurant. This positions Lupicaia out of the pocket book of many wine lovers but the price quality relationship is much better than most of those $500 a bottle wines. It has been a while since I have purchased an expensive wine. The few great wines left in my cellar are destined for future occasions. A stroke of luck brought 6 bottles of Lupicaia IGT 1999 entered my home.

I have known Lupicaia for many years. She has been a warm and cuddly friend, elegant and encompassing. While her company can be appreciated in the te’ ta te’, a menage a trois is most certainly the best environment to truly appreciate one of mother nature’s greatest gifts. Just any meal would not be appropriate. She deserves a savory and hearty meal. I prepared a bed of potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters along with baby carrots and two peeled onions. A large rib eye, seared on both sides was nestled discreetly and the top of the Dutch oven went into the oven for 45 minutes. One quick turn of the meat and a shuffle of the vegetables the third party to our festivities went back into the oven for another 45 minutes.

I opened the feisty Tuscan. She is young and needs to breathe. I admired the deep garnet color, fighting the temptation to consume her prematurely. I could smell the black cherries filling the air as I swirled the bottle. Genetics do not lie, a 90-10 Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot mix that could have been born in Bordeaux.

Finally our table was set. The anticipation created a nervous tension was high. A moment to admire the beautiful cut of meat surrounded by carrots, potatoes and a whole onion. The large mouth glass strategically positioned at the top right corner of the plate. Lupicaia slithered into the glass. Ruby red flashes filter through the stream of nectar and the fingernails are burnt orange.

A soft hint of tannins caressed my lips. A wave of velvet encompassed my mouth. The distinctive taste of Cabernet Sauvignon revealed itself as notes of cedar filled my gums. Finally a clean finish with hints of toasted coffee. I shared my attentions between the savory pot roast and Lupicaia. After each sip I was fully prepared to taste another bite of food. Culinary ecstasy consumed my senses. She was young, already mature, but surely in 10 years Lupicaia will take on additional personality and class. Lupicaia IGT 1999 will accompany me through the years, always present at special occasions.




Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way you describe Her is magnificent and really want me to try.

Btw: I had a culinary adventure in Milan a bit more than a week ago. I'm planning a post about it but it'll have to wait until next week as I'm soon going to Brussels for the rest of the week.

1:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home