Friday, September 15, 2006

Turtleneck - Forget the Dickey

Thank God its Fashion! Still on men’s fashion for one final appointment for Italian men’s fashion Fall/Winter 2006-2007. Often overlooked but extremely important is the shirt. While the traditional good quality cotton with stiff collars and cufflinks are the base, this year’s addition is the turtleneck. Fashion often picks up themes again and again over the years. In the late 60s and early 70s, turtlenecks were the fad. From Starsky and Hutch to Miami Vice the turtleneck was there. As a young pup, about 8 years old, I remember having several turtlenecks and even more dickeys. I am not sure whether my mother thought they looked good or whether it was a substitute for the wool scarf. Either way I had a dickey in every color and for every occasion. Please do not be like my mother, buy the whole shirt!


The designers have brought back the turtleneck for the Fall/Winter 2006/2007. The clean and tight fit of the turtleneck creates a perfect base for the layered, heavy look of this year’s creations. Primarily solid darker colors the turtleneck creates a backdrop for the patterns and textures presented. Enrico Coveri uses the turtleneck as a base for his more casual styles combining both leather jackets and cashmere cardigans.

Valentino sees the turtleneck as a standalone. He presents a clean and natural look without a lot of clutter. Needless to say the knits are luxurious. They are soft as velvet and flow like silk. The collar has just enough elastic to keep it in place without the impression of being slowly strangled to death.

Versace seems to use the turtleneck to give a clean and solid base, usually placed strategically underneath and open jacket or overcoat. Perhaps the thought is that the turtleneck completes the outfit. I also noticed that while the Valentino fit loosely, evidencing the fabric, the Versace turtleneck tightly hugged the body.

Whether the turtleneck be an accessory or a base element, one thing is for sure, the turtleneck is back and here to stay for the next few years. Extremely functional as part of an outfit or standalone with a pair of jeans it can be worn from the first cool weather well into the winter season when the temperatures drop. It is something worth looking into to complete your wardrobe. Remember dark colors and never a dickey.

Tags:

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

but I like the dickey
dickey,dickey,dickey!

- Dick E.

3:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I apologize for not getting back to you weeks ago when you initially contacted me.

Regarding the coal in Dallas -- I honestly don't have much opinion of it because I don't know much about it.

My cause celebre is Kinky Friedman right now.

Hope you are doing well!

Raine @ Banned Breed

9:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Dianne

Hi David

Are you actually in Milan? Those pictures are so good, me thinks that maybe you are!

Dianne
:)

1:46 AM

 
Blogger RennyBA said...

Italian fashion is the top of the cream but also very expensive in Norway. But then again quality pays as it’s also kind of timeless. Thanks for sharing this – still reminding me of the lovely week I had in Milan.
Have a lovely Sunday and a great week ahead:-)

1:47 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Raine I think you may have chosen the right candidate. While I have not decided who I am voting for I have decided that I am voting against Perry this time.

Dianne I have just returned from a short stay for business. Unfortunately these are not my fotos. Although I am fortunate enough to get invitations to some of the shows I do not have foto privileges. The fotos are by Luca Lazzari and these designs were presented earlier this spring. I am evidencing what people are actually wearing from the designers. The Spring/Summer 2007 have some great designs! It will be fun next year.

Renny Some things are tremendously expensive while others offer a good price/quality relationship. Knowing what is actually working will allow you to mix and match finding the best value without going with just one designer. One advantage to buying in Milan is that it will stay fashionable for the next couple of years wherever you are!

6:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Lucky David! If you get business trips to Italy, I want to do a career change to whatever you do!

Dianne :)

8:34 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Dianne I help European companies understand the US markets and vice-versa. You could say I am a cultural ambassador between the US and European markets. Sometimes very frustrating but it is a living.

8:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm! Would that be strategic marketing? I'm envious of any job that allows travel! I pay for most of mine, but the odd trip is work-related

Lucky you!

Dianne :)

12:30 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Dianne Strategic marketing would be an appropriate term but not in today's business lingo. There is very little "strategic marketing" done today.

I will explain, in the case of Europe USA, there are significant cultural differences and more importantly different expectations. US companies rarely are able to compete in Europe (Walmart is the most recent example - before that GM blowing 7 billion $ trying to take over FIAT) because of these differences.

Since I work in both environments I help executive management adjust their expectations, understand what they are really selling, and set up verification standards to measure the effectiveness of what they are doing.

I can be very frustrating but when you can get your client to understand it can also be very rewarding.

2:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get your drift David! Just! Probably because I work in an environment where I have to stay in touch with whats going on globally ... especially the USA! Nope, not business! Science! Didnt realise that strategic Marketing was yesterdays news though! Nice pics from the Milan Catwalks ... London next huh!

Dianne :)

9:50 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Dianne The words "strategic marketing" are still used but few people understand the concept. Our current economic and financial structure have removed the client (basis of strategic marketing) from the equation.

I will not be doing the UK shows. There is still so much to do with shoes and accessories, then wine, recipes, sagra del vino, restaurants, cheeses, and winter destinations.

So much to write and so little space...

9:59 AM

 
Blogger Doll Face said...

I came to comment on fashion and I learnt a lot about you!

Interesting line of work you do - bridging the gap, almost...




Men should not wear gold chains.

12:08 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Natalie The work is interesting, keeps me on my toes, helps me understand people and tendencies, but often is frustrating as really smart people believe they have nothing to learn...

I did not like the choice of the designer either but I believe they were attempting to tie into a certain market of transitional youth (at one time they were the pre-yuppies).

6:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home