Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Italy Fashion Summer 2006 – Return of the 50-60s

A growing trend from the street, the era “Pin-up”. A mix of the sensuality of the 50s and the non-conformist attitudes of the 60s, this summer, the Pin-up is the new trendy look. Scant flowing dresses, bows, laced fronts or backs, light cottons and silks, with bright colors and floral patterns are about to arrive. Easy to mix and match, less structured to make you feel not only free but feminine.



The bright colors balance with jeans and textures are soft. Miniskirts, maxi chiffon dresses, cotton and lace jackets held together with a single button, short shorts and knickers are all fair game (fortunately I have not seen any tie die, yet…). Cloth Bags, lots of Beads, large Belts and Boots, sometime cowboy, are the accessories that complete the look.



Headgear, or hats, can be 50 style floppy and large brimmed with colorful ribbons, flowers or simply a cotton or silk scarf tied tight around the head with a flowing trail. Platforms also seem to be in the works but I cannot stand them so I would suggest, as the temperature rises, spikes which are already considered the upcoming footwear for the next couple of years. I suspect that the sole only sandals will also be ok.

It may seem strange for a man to be writing about women’s fashion but I love women. I do not always appreciate the new styles that come and go but, when a fad accentuates a woman’s natural beauty I am all for it. This should be a fun season for apparel and it seems that anything along these lines will be appropriate as long as it borders on eclectic so use your fantasy and have a great time. We, men, will surely appreciate it.

Tags:

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Doll Face said...

It may seem strange for a man to be writing about women’s fashion but I love women. I do not always appreciate the new styles that come and go but, when a fad accentuates a woman’s natural beauty I am all for it.

I can appreciate that, it is great to hear fashion feedback from a man.

Australian fashion week is now on - i'm attending a fashion parade on Saturday ;-)

5:13 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Natalie - I look forward to seeing your thoughts on fashion week.

Kush - I truly enjoy your site.

6:31 PM

 
Blogger Tracie P. said...

does that mean the 80s are gone? please say yes...

2:51 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Although I am no guru, the current tendencies for 2006-2007 and the early part of 2008 do not have 80s in the cards.

7:51 AM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

How anyone live in Italy for a while and NOT talk fashion? I'm very impressed with your review, David. There's something about that era that makes a bold statement yet it is still feminine.

5:00 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Aren't these just beautiful. Raffaella has already told me what to bring back from the next trip!

5:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home