Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Prayer 2005

I must say that I do not believe in religious organizations. I do love tradition and all things that make up who we are but after several experiences with people and organizations I no longer wish to have anything to do with the business of religion. Every year I write a Christmas Prayer. It helps me to define the things that are important to me and how I want to live my life. I never expect someone else or some higher power to intervene but it sets some guidelines that I can follow every day to make sure that I can still look myself in the mirror.

With this premise every year I prepare a Christmas prayer, not for others but for me. I thought it might be appropriate to share this years thoughts.

May I always remember that everything I do, or fail to do, has consequences;
May I think and reason as an individual even when, as part of the masses, it is easier to act like everyone else;
May I not be as stupid as the marketing organizations think I am;
May I define the value of my fellow beings for their accomplishments with the talents they have received and not by their position in life or their possessions;
May I always remember there is someone, smarter, richer, better looking, funnier, or more compassionate than I am;
May I always be thankful for what I have and remember that there are others who dream of having a life like mine;
May I remember every minute of every day that I am the most fortunate man on the face of the earth because I have a woman who loves me for who I am;
May I remember that empathy does not mean to patronize but to feel and understand the how and why things are the way they are.
May I remember that it is not the number of times you fall that counts but how many times you get up;
May I always be able to look myself in the mirror before I retire each night and know that I have done all I could with the gifts I have received.

This is my prayer. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Tags:

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Q said...

Your prayers, although are not religious (which I do not mind as I am not religious at all), are very meaningful and useful. I may even put them in my heart.

Thanks for your comments, and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

11:03 AM

 
Blogger [estalia] said...

Merry Christmas to you too.

2:26 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Thank you both! Christmas, as all holidays, are very important to me and my wife.

2:28 PM

 
Blogger Stargazer said...

...and a very Merry Christmas to you! Thank you for dropping by my blog.

8:02 PM

 
Blogger Authorian Legend said...

Beautiful...simply beautiful. Amen to that.

8:36 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for your kindness shared on my blog...keep being a positive person. Life gives back what you give.

9:31 AM

 
Blogger Wally Banners said...

From your lips to Gods ears!

1:10 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Gena - Please do. I am always flattered when someone likes to read what I write, more so if they suggest it to others!

5:11 AM

 
Blogger moderator said...

Lovely! As I share your sentiments about the "organization" part, I can only say AMEN.

6:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home