Thursday, December 29, 2005

Abbacchio Brodettato

Suckling Lamb in Broth

Abbacchio is widely used in many of the Italian festivities. Regionally Lazio (Rome) is the accepted origin of Abbacchio.

New Year’s Eve we will be celebrating with our cooking buddies and the main dish will be lamb prepared by Al our Cajun Chef gone international (he is really good). So here is one of the Italian versions of lamb I thought you might enjoy. Perhaps I will be able to convince our great chef to share his lamb recipe, and obviously, I will publish the comments of all present.


Ingredients:

2 ½ lbs of suckling lamb
¼ lb Prosciutto
1 Onion
Salt
Pepper
¼ cup Olive Oil
Italian Parsley
2 Tbls flour
Marjoram
3 Egg Yolks
½ cup White Wine
Hot Water
Juice of 1 Lemon

Preparation:

Cut the lamb into 1 – 1 ½ inch pieces. Cube the prosciutto. Dice the onion. In a large skillet, on medium-low heat, add the ¼ cup olive oil, the lamb, the prosciutto, and ½ the onion. Add salt and pepper. Cook, turning regularly, over medium low heat until the meat is cooked.

Place the flour in a small bowl. Whisk in enough hot water to create a milk-like consistency. Add the wine the flour-water mixture to the meat stirring aggressively to avoid lumps. When the wine has evaporated, about 3 minutes, add enough hot water to cover the meat. Turn the heat to low, cover and simmer until you have a dense sauce, about 30 minutes.

You can remove from heat and set aside for several hours. Before serving bring back to temperature on low heat (from room temperature about 10 minutes).

Whisk the egg yolks with the lemon juice, parsley and marjoram.

When the lamb is at a slow simmer again, add the egg mixture and cook on low heat until the sauce is dense. Serve immediately and very HOT.

Tags:

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger moderator said...

This looks absolutely wonderful! As do your other food posts! We will be doing a link this weekend!

6:42 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Thank you Divas! Happy New Year!

6:48 AM

 
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Mangia! Found you through the Divas. I am going to Positan in May with my chicas. Love your site. Am going to start cooking now in anticipation.

I'll be back! Ciao for now...

Teri

9:17 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Teri,

I just noticed that under "Destinations" I did not include my post on the Amalfi Coast. I have fixed that now.

Please take a look and if you would like additional information please let me know.

Happy New Year!

9:35 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You are always putting up fabulous recipes, half of which I can't eat. Find a Jewish-Italian recipe for me and put it up. Bet you'd like it too.. I hope all is well and you are having a fantastic New Year. Actually I can eat this just change the prosciuto--ham--to something else and voila! It's kosher.. LOL.. Thanks again for a fatastic recipe..

9:02 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Cara Diva - I understand your religious basis. During our period in Rome we lived in via Monserrato, right off of piazza Farnese. You say what does this mean.

At one time in past history these were the slums of Rome where the Jews were outcast.

Today this is the vibrant center for jewelry and banking. One of the most exclusive sections of Rome. All to say the restaurants prepare foods for their habitual customers. I did not notice a difference in the ingredients used however I believe they were all Kosher. Therefore, on my next trip I will make a point to visit the cooks in this area and ask for the recipes.

Since they know me I hope they will not throw me out on my ear!!!

Best wishes for a Happy and Prosperous New year!!!

4:19 PM

 
Blogger Authorian Legend said...

I'm dying...That looks soooo good. *FAINT*

10:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home