Sunday, January 28, 2007

Borgonero 2001 – Borgo Scopeto – Super Tuscan

Borgonero 2001 by Borgo Scopeto is a Tuscan designer wine. A good friend showed up the other day with a bottle in hand. Yes, I have the best of friends. In the 60s and 70s the Italian Wine Industry was going through troubled times. The producers had decided that they would make more money if the produced trendy wines and instituted the latest and greatest production methods. Autochthon vines were substituted with Syrahs and Cabernets and natural yeasts and methods were eliminated for oxygenation and forced super yeasts. Needless to say sales fell, production of "all the same wines" flooded the market and numerous producers went bankrupt. In this period of turmoil the established family producers started experimenting with blended wines. Some really great wines came out of this period such as Sassicaia and Tignanello, better known as the Super Tuscans.

Borgo Scopeto calls Borgonero a Super Tuscan. I believe they tie this to the composition of the wine. Borgonero is 60% Sangiovese, 20% Syrah and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon. I believe my friend’s description is better. Borgonero is a Tuscan fruit bomb. I believe this wine will meet the expectations of most consumers but do not confuse this with Tignanello. The flavor is intense but Borgonero is not a complex wine. This translates to, “what you initially taste is what you get.” It is also significantly less expensive than a Sassicaia and would be a great choice for those wishing to start understanding the Super Tuscans. Borgonero has a pretty good balance of tannins and flavor and while the alcohol content is 13.5% per volume I would not consider this a dry red.

Wine Spectator rates this wine pretty well. Over the years the rating has varied from 91 to 99 points. I do not consider it in the same category as the better known Super Tuscans. I guess that is why I am not reviewing for Wine Spectator. No matter what the rating this wine will do well with red meats, wild game and perhaps a Tuscan Pecorino. I would not attempt to match with tomato based red sauces, somehow I get the idea the acidity would conflict with the fruitiness. Borgonero would also go well as a standalone drink. The flavor is rather persistent but cleans up well enough to enjoy the wine for several glasses. I have not had this wine in Italy. Therefore there could be a difference in the quality. Borgo Scopeto is also an Agriturismo so I would put this winery on my next trip to Tuscany. Make sure a trip includes at least one meal at their restaurant.

Grape: Sangiovese 60%, Syrah 20%, Cabernet Sauvignon 20%.

Color: A slinky, gorgeous red.

Bouquet: Full bodied and rich with almost austere hints of graphite and ground pepper backing up the lush opulence of the ripe Sangiovese grape.

Taste: Aromas of chocolate, wild berries, meat and currants. Full-body with tannins and a silky, caressing aftertaste.

Alcohol Content: Minimum 13.5 %

Serving Temperature:18 c.

Decanting: 15 minutes with an open bottle.

Pouring: Pour slowly with a 15-20 degree inclination.

Glass: Red wine glass.

Aging: At least 3 years from the vintage.

Tags:


Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ginkers said...

I haven't been by for a while, but I love the sound of a Super Tuscan. Indeed, I'd like to consider myself a Super Tuscan! I am off to try to track down somewhere in Scotland where I can get a Borgonero...

2:02 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Ginkers Welcome Back. This is part of the Scotland Italy Partnership!

7:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home