Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Valentino Alta Moda – Women’s Fashion Fall/Winter 06-07 High Fashion

There is always a bit of a conflict, show the Pret a Porter line or the High Fashion designs. This becomes even more difficult when the subject is one of the greatest of Italian Fashion. Valentino’s designs this year of both lines are unique and timeless. It would be a shame not to present one or the other. Valentino’s High Fashion line is inspired by epic Russian Folklore costumes. Adding a bit of a contemporary flair and the Valentino touch and these outfits become a perfect addition to any wardrobe. It may be that the fashion conscious will be able to identify this year’s designs in the coming years but that is not a reason to take a close look at the line.

Valentino toned down the Marie Antoinette influenced Russian Czar period design, eliminating the ruffles and puffs, changing the basic fabrics to Satin, Silk, and Lace. Valentino created a line that can be worn by the 20 something grad at her first job to the forty plus top manager who has arrived and knows it. These outfits are aggressive yet feminine and all are discretely provocative. I imagine the Black Widow, Mata Hari, and Jacqueline Onassis wearing these outfits. They are sexy while maintaining the appropriate décor of formal occasions.

Each line has something for everyone. Most do not consider High Fashion for the work environment but this is the rule in Italy. It depends on the type of company but generally if you work for a well-established company then you can and sometimes should wear High Fashion. The rule is clean lines and not outlandish, inside these rules just about anything goes. The dresses I consider most appropriate for the workplace range from the black widow to work killer II.The more formal occasions such as business meetings, PR outings or cocktails after work are covered with the black line. The designs are still clean but flaring skirts may be a bit difficult sitting behind a desk. When the occasion is up on the feet these are perfect. Formal, business minded, clean lines yet just enough improvisation to say this is a special occasion.
Formal occasions such as a night at the opera or a wedding are amply covered by the white satin and lace and white velvet designs. If you are going to a wedding and want to make an impression that everyone will remember, even the bride for outdoing her outfit, then any of these will do. They are grace and style. Formal to the hilt.

Finally we have my favorites. These are the ones I would choose for Raffaella. I find them intriguing, full of grace, class and style. They are provocative. They say to me, “Come and fight for me! I am worth it.”

Tags:

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Lexcen said...

This selection appeals to Pumpkin who was Marie Antoinette in previous life. I still favor the black and white selections of the previous post. That's from a male point of view.

11:44 AM

 
Blogger Jas said...

Hi David,
I really like this collection. I could see myself in that clean lined black dress to the xmas party this year :p

Found a couple of broken links in your post. The middle img (gray suit) of the first row and the last row (the hot red dress), when I roll over the img, it shows up as a hand, but nothing happens when I clicked on it.

later.

12:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The designs look very nice. Elegant and sophisticated. Talking about Marie Antoinette, I love her. I read that when the peasants were revolting against her due that they dont have bread. She ordered her ministers or whatever to give them cake.

1:40 PM

 
Blogger RennyBA said...

Hi David! I'm not that much into fashion but I do know when a lady looks good. Your post was a great read though!

Btw: May I invite you to dinner in Brussels? - I think you would like the vine too:-)

2:52 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Lexcen What can I say. I love them both, for different reasons and occasions.

Jas Great. The links were not broken. Blogger kills the ref to the larger original image when placed in the middle. I was too lazy to fix it by hand...

Charles You know your history. The period was one of great oppulance and poverty, just like today! The French revolted and beheaded all the nobles and rich people. Could Valentino be suggesting something?

Renny It's all about the ladies!

I would have loved to meet but I am in Dallas. I am somewhat surprised that I did not even hear about the conference, I usually get invitations and probably would have come.

3:53 PM

 
Blogger Doll Face said...

second row, right, the black - totally mine!

WOW

4:11 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Natalie We had you at first row -> left and second row right. Our mutual friend ChickyBabe bottom row ->left.

4:23 PM

 
Blogger Doll Face said...

Ohhh! You know my style :-) x 100000000

Where is CB? She needs to see this :-)

7:09 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Sorry guys I've been busy of late, just catching up now... second row, left, I like the back. Love to see the front!

3:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home