Monday, November 20, 2006

Italian Men’s Fashion Fall Winter 2006-2007 Missoni

For some reason Italian Men’s Winter Fashion does not receive the same attention as Italian Women’s Fashion. I agree that women are much nicer to look at and to dress but we men also want to look good, fit and strong. I love cufflinks. I only buy dress shirts with French Cuffs. Even when I am dressing casual I want my casual clothes to look good. Sure jeans and a Tshirt are fun around the house or working in the yard but out and about I want that clean crisp look of a pair of slacks, polished shoes and an ironed shirt.

The professional or office environment offers some unique challenges. Often the air conditioning or heating are blasting making the temperature too cold or too hot. The suit jacket can be uncomfortable when sitting at the desk all day but just shirt may be too little. Additionally, a dress shirt, while nice, does not give that business look I like. I have also been too fat for many years, and seeing the belly bulge is not one of my favorite scenes. I found a fantastic solution many years ago. A tight knot V-neck sweater is perfect. The sweater shows the tie and clean shirt while not showing that bulge just above the belt. It usually does not do much against the cold but in a traditional office is just perfect.

Most often these V-necks will also have a matching Cardigan. So the same V-neck worn with a tie can be used in casual occasions without the tie and putting on the Cardigan. Additional when traveling the V-neck/Cardigan solution is perfect. You can wear the tie, lose it, even if the shirt is wrinkled from sitting too long in the same position it does not show and most importantly you are not there in Khakis and Dockers. This year’s Missoni Men’s Fall Winter collection is based on the V-neck/Cardigan match.

Missoni has developed the Art Deco period theme. These are the same patterns that you may find in Norwegian or American Indian designs. The earth tone colors are natural and not shiny. They are perfect under most traditional suits whether solid or pinstriped. The color match is rather easy, just pick out one of the colors in the pattern that matches the primary color of the jacket. Ties can be subdued or if you are like me something more extravagant. White shirts or light pastels are perfect are the perfect underpinning.



Missoni takes the outfits further than I would go. If you follow the design to a T you will be Yankee Doodle Dandy, so I would avoid the belts, purple or red shirts and the Bordeaux colored suits. A couple of pairs of dark grey, dark blue and a lighter beige slacks will go a long way. This is the concept of dress for success. We often say do not judge a book by its cover but we all know a well dressed individual gets more attention even on casual work days.


Guys, remember some basic rules if you are fighting or have lost the battle of the bulge. They are soft fitting darker colors, no strained buttons, and do not let the results of your battle cover the belt buckle.

Tags:

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Lana said...

hubba hubba

12:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, at my age, there is nothing more flattering to a mans' look than a tailored jacket. Soft knits and loose pullovers do nothing for that beer gut.
I would be interested to see Armani's collection as I have always loved his designs.

12:48 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Bozette Thanks for coming by.

Lexcen I wear Armani also. It just fits well, have you tried Canali?

3:38 PM

 
Blogger Doll Face said...

Hmm... not a fan of any of those styles.

7:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, I haven't heard of Canali. The range of any products/merchandise is very limited to Australians.

12:35 AM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

They do nothing for me, but then again I'm not fond of the label in women's wear either.

1:34 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Natalie & ChickyBabe Think outside the picture for a moment, remove the belts, hats, and various wild colors. A white shirt high collor shirt with stiff wings under a charcoal grey or antricite pin stripe. I always bow to the tastes of female gender.

Lexcen Here is the link to Canali. The cut is similar to Armani made for real men. Styles rather classic, I started wearing Canali when I could not find a double breasted suit anywhere else and did not have time to have one made.

7:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home