Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Brolo di Campofiorin Rosso Veronese 2003 IGT

Amarone is probably one of the most controversial Italian wines. I have heard heated discussions between those who love just about anything with a hint of Amarone’s flavor and those that just do not understand either the taste or the price. I enjoy a good Amarone but am on the side of those who do not understand the price. I really do not like the wannabe Amarone wines. I can understand why they have a market but they are not my thing. Terry over at Mondo Sapore talked extensively about Amarone last year and was relatively objective.

I also think that Amarone must be aged. It needs time to develop and balance the flavors. When it is young it is too fruity, too acidic, and has too many tannins. Recently I was at a trade show Raffaella, making the rounds of the recently arrived wines. One of the distributors had a Brolo di Campofiorin 2003. I knew it was too young but had recently tasted a 1998. The 1998 was pretty good and I wanted a comparison. I guess what I am saying that while I was not impressed with the 2003 there is hope. It may be a good bottle to keep away for a 2010-2015 consumption. Personally I would not keep a case but 3-4 bottles may be ok.

Brolo di Campofiorin is a trademarked blend and combination of the Amarone family. Masi wants them to become the “Super Venetians” although I have no idea what that means.

Grape: Corvina, Rondinella and Molinara grape varieties

Color: Limpid Garnet Red.

Bouquet: Fruity, red cherries and raspberries with a distinct undertone of tannins

Flavor: Red fruits, spices, distinct base of Amarone

Alcohol: 13,5%

Serving Temperature: 18-19 c.

Glass: Simple red wine without a large mouth.

Tags:


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home