Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Italy Summer 2007 Women’s Hairstyles

David Lebovitz, a chef in Paris, wrote a humorous article about some cultural differences between France and the US. It could have been about Italy and the US. Looking good is important for most Italians, especially women. When friends visit, they will often comment about how people seem to have a different style, sometimes lacking in the US. The culture of fashion plays an important role but it is also about attention to the little things. An Italian primps whenever going out in public.

Even here, Raffaella will get up two hours before she has to go out in the morning to “get ready”. Her brother would teasingly call it the remodeling phase. She dedicates this time whether we are going to the lake or she is going to work. It is important for her. It is also important to most Italians. Recently an Italian poll indicated that 70% of Italians thought that "a gentleman" did not wear jeans.


Italian women consider hairstyle is as important as silk blouses to the general look. The weekly appointment at the hairstylist is a must. Hairstyles follow trends just as clothes. This year’s trend is longer hair, pulled tightly to the head. A hair band, called a cerchietto, is a must. This is not new. My daughters all have worn cerchietti since they were little. It keeps the hair out of their eyes and frames their beautiful faces. The novelty of this year’s trend is how elaborate the hair bands are.

Many years ago the hair band was jewelry, often made of gold with gems or polished wood. Most hair bands today are simple plastic in various colors but this year that changes. Plastic hair bands have molded bows. A stylist will weave silver or gold hair bands into the hair during the weekly appointment. I like this trend. I doubt it will last more than a year or two so this may be a great occasion to stock up on some unusual pieces if this is your thing.

Ladies, while visiting Italy this year, try this Italian custom. Go to the stylist once or twice, you may really enjoy it.


Tags:



Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Doll Face said...

I like the 'hair' not so much the clips... I don't think females should wear clips over the age of 11.

5:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Southern Taiwan, some conservatives (staunch Confucians) claim that only ugly women with little substance wear make-up. :-/ As such, I still suffer a complex and wear very little!!!!!! If one is seen to be "caring too much", people start to wonder what's wrong with her as a person!

Compare this with the West's preoccupation with appearances, it's a huge culture shock, indeed.

Ergo, a little balance is best. Esp. if we're aiming for self-respect. :-)

5:25 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Natalie I like the clips. Perhaps it is a part of my personality. I really like everything neat and tidy.

Dos Somehow I think Raffaella goes to all the trouble for me. Goodness.... I have a big EGO!

5:31 PM

 
Blogger Peace said...

Hi David, Do you still remember me? Seen some changes to your blog. Like your profile. I like the post about Medieval Castle Near Parma. It's been nice to visit you again. : )

5:40 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Peace Of course I remember. I stop in and check on your photo blog from time to time. I hope all is well.

5:43 PM

 
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

I can't say I'm tempted to try any of those. I like the eye make up in the first photo, almost feline. I saw the same in some of the recent fashion shows in Europe.

4:23 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

ChickyBabe It is not the cerchietto that matters, it is the weekly appointment at the stylist.

Just think, every week, dedicating an hour or two just to yourself.

I am sure you will find something that fits both personalities.

5:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home