Monday, November 13, 2006

Salvatore Ferragamo – Women’s Fashion Winter 2007

The Fall / Winter 2006-2007 collection by Salvatore Ferragamo could be paralleled to the drug VIOXX. It is extremely effective but can also kill you. Nothing toxic to the body, instead it is a vast collection of natural fibers and vivid colors. The toxicity is to your look. I must say I was rather disappointed with this year’s designs, some of them are classic Ferragamo, accentuating femininity, enticing to the touch, professional with just a hint of aggressive sensuality, while others are the terminator of everything feminine. I was even more distressed to see both sides of the line worn on the streets. Italian Women's Fashion can be full of contrasts.
My first encounter was with dark side of the Ferragamo collection. I saw a female street bum about 150 yards in front coming toward me. It caught my eye because Milan does not have a large number of homeless women. My attention heightened as she came closer, she had make-up on and her hair was perfect, just left the hairdresser perfect. The shoes, although not spikes, were soft leather perfectly in color with her outfit. Then it hit me like a lightening on a hot summer afternoon. This girl was not a homeless, she was wearing top designer fashion. Some of the shows then came to mind, numerous designers had presented some country bumpkin lines made of heavy wools and some seemed to be burlap. Surely these fabrics are an unusual choice for texture but really hard to make them work in real life.

That’s when I realized this was Ferragamo, best known for shoes and accessories but also into great wines and with an Agriturismo that is a dream come true. As this young lady approached on the sidewalk I could not take my eyes off her. I think she was aware of my intense gaze and probably thought I was thinking something provocative. As she passed I also turned my head and she caught my glance and favored a beautiful yet discrete smile. It is a good thing she could not read my mind, I surely would have been slapped around a bit.

This year’s line is not all bad, in fact, I also have seen what I consider to be some really hot items walking the street. The combination of velvet with shimmering highlights, wool knits and bright colors are a great balance of texture, fabric and color.
The heavy wool outfits can go either way, ladies be very careful when thinking about whether or not the heavy knits can be part of your wardrobe. Heavy knits on the right design can soft, luxurious and voluptuous.
On the wrong design they can make you look pregnant, fine if you are and really sexy but if you are not I am not sure this is the message you want to convey.
Well, ladies, while you are thinking about raking me over the coals, I admit, I am opinionated. I love women, powerful, intelligent, beautiful, sexy, aggressive, sly, and passive. I love women to look like women, even when they dress in leather and ride a motorcycle or are riding a horse on the ranch. I think one half of the Ferragamo line does nothing to accentuate femininity rather it degrades. So choose the right half and when we meet on the street and you catch my glance we will both be thinking the same thing.

Tags:

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, I agree with your assessment of these designs.
From a man's point of view, I would design fashion to accentuate the waistline. The hourglass figure is perfection which highlights hips,buttocks and breasts.Everything should follow from this principle.

12:55 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Lexcen Oh so true. You should check out the Rocco Barocco designs. Raffaella wants me to write about this year's line because the cut accentuates the waisteline and all those fantastic curves that make a woman a woman. I am not tremendously impressed with the fabrics he chose. Most likely Raffaella will win and you will see my Rocco spread here next week.

5:55 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

The entire time, I just kept on telling myself, "how do you know so much information about womens fashion????"

Great info as ususual. But I won't be breaking out to buy something like that any time soon...

8:42 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Expat You are very kind. Fashion is very personal it is what you feel and should represent who you want to be.

I had the opportunity to write the original graphics software for Gianni Versace back when the company was all of 6 people. Over the years I have worked with and hung out with numerous designers, some well-known others just great talent. I guess something rubbed off on me. I still have contacts with some of them and I have no problem telling them what I think. Raffaella says I have incredibly good taste in women's fashion and that is good enough for me.

9:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh that one in the top middle just looks like a sack. I kinda like the blue sweater dress, but that's about it for this bunch.

9:19 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Jennifer I agree the blue knit dress looks comfy and like something worth snuggling into. I also really like the purple knit outfit with the belt (kind of aggressive!)

9:38 AM

 
Blogger Doll Face said...

I'll take bottom row middle and right thank you.

10:11 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Natalie We have never met yet I would have said as much. Raffaella and I were chatting about what our blog friends would wear just last night.

I really like the 1800s inspired Queen Catherine jacket. I look at that and think it says, "I am dangerous!"

3:16 AM

 
Blogger Doll Face said...

Hehehehe... That is a post I'd like to see. This reader wearing *insert pieces*

2:25 PM

 
Blogger Doll Face said...

Oh.. and i wouldn't wear mt avatar outfit ;-)

2:26 PM

 
Blogger Small Business USA said...

Hmmm... interesting thought. I will put one together for some light reading this weekend!

I do believe I have a pretty good idea regarding what you would appreciate.

3:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has no one thought of Lucy and Ethel wearing the burlap bags and horse's oat feeders when they were in Paris? I must be showing my advanced age...

Terry @ mondosapore

7:29 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Terry I had not thought about that one; your insight is exceptional!

10:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with you about Salvatore Ferragamo's line. While some of the clothes are very appealing, others are drastically at the other end of the spectrum. I don't know, I think that I will to stick to his purses this time around.

6:21 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Ms Mink The extremes seem to be a recurring theme this year.

Ms Mink is Fashion writer KRiSTOPHER DUKES. Check out his site.

6:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home