Saturday, December 10, 2005

A Word about Wine

I have noticed that many people have come to the site looking for information about wines and, in particular, Christmas wines. Wine is a function of the meal you intend to serve or vice versa but it is always complimentary.

I will be writing extensively about wines in February and March with the new bottling seasons however, if you would like me to suggest what we would drink with a specific meal please leave a comment, with the evenings menu’ if available, and I will be more than happy to prepare a list of Italian wines that may be appropriate.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Beau said...

David, would you have any Italian wine suggestions for a traditional Christmas turkey dinner?

9:47 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm yummy. Wine.. Amo il vino.. yummy can't wait

10:29 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

I am assuming a savory oven roasted Turkey with the typical fixings.

My first choice for quality and price would be:

Refosco by Ronchi di Cialla

However I have not been able to find that here in Dallas so I thought I would suggest a couple of wines from each area, with different price ranges, that will accompany the meal well.

Piemonte:

Barbera d’Asti –.La Spinetta.
Barbaresco – I suggest the one produced by the “Consorzio Produttori del Barbaresco”, which is a cooperative production and bottling group from the hills of Barbaresco, but just about any Barbaresco will be great!
Barolo – Giacosa.

Tuscany:

Nobile di Montepulciano - Il Faggeto.
Guado al Tasso – Antinori

These are red wines. If you prefer whites you will need to step up a level to get a white with sufficient body to compliment the dinner. Some might be:

Blange’ by Ceretto – This is an Arneis from Piemonte.
Schioppettino di Cialla – This is marvelous.
Pinot Grigio – Schiopetto.

For an after dinner digestive I would serve a Sgroppino, Gelato al Limone with Vodka. I will be posting the recipe later on in the week. The Sgroppino seems to be very popular with our friends.

David

4:15 PM

 
Blogger Beau said...

David, many thanks for the thorough list of wines to enhance a turkey dinner. I'll print out the list, and try to purchase some of them at our local wine, and liquor stores. I'll let you know how they worked out.

Ciao, Beau

4:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home