Sunday, September 25, 2005

What's coming



I returned to the USA a few years ago after living 20 years in Italy. When friends would come and visit us they seemed to have a great time and would comment on how they had been to Italy many times but had never seen so much and been so relaxed. Friends and acquaintances often ask advice for their upcoming trips to Italy so I thought this would be a good way to share my experiences with those who wish to live an Italian vacation as an Italian would.

First a brief background, I went to Italy in 1979 at the ripe old age of 19. Three years later I married an Italian and after a few moves back and forth I decided to stay at least 10 years before moving back to the US.

I had 4 beautiful daughters from my first marriage, got divorced, married a really fantastic Italian woman, became an Italian citizen, participated in 38 start-up companies, ran for public office (did not get elected but it was an interesting experience), was appointed as a consultant to the commission for telecommunication's reform, spoke at conferences given by the Office of the President of the Ministers of Italy. I lived, or vacationed extensively, in Cuneo, Torino, Torre Pelice, Genova, Savona, Lavagna, Milano, Brescia, Bergamo, Como, Varese, Bellusco, Cervignano del Friuli, Trieste, Aviano, Senigallia, Bologna, Parma, Crema, Foggia, Manfredonia, Vico del Gargano, Roma, Napoli, Caserta, Cagliari, Palermo, and Catania.

I will be dealing with various aspects of living or vacationing in Italy, from how not to be seen as the typical tourist to how to interact with the public security personnel. Along the way I will tell of my experiences with food, wine, hotels, art, culture, and some of the greatest people in the world.

I hope you will be joining me on this journey.

David

| Next Article |

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David -

I think you were wrong about your blog. Rather than quality over quantity, I think you've somehow managed to turn out high quantity with a matching level of quality. True, your articles are all very concise, but the sheer volumes...WOW! But what you have to say in all of them is great!!!! Very awesome insight.

I don't even want to know how much time you've spent offering up your experiences to the world. I'm very impressed and I look forward to trying your recipes for Crema Pasticcera, Pandoro and Panforte.

Also, I like all the meat sauce recipes you have listed. I REALLY like your idea of using carrots instead of sugar. One of my roommates in college came from an Italian family and would bring home some treats and eats. One of which was spaghetti with homemade sauce. I can't tell you the awful shock of putting an oversugared tomato and meat based sauce in my mouth for the first time. It was awful. Sadly, this has been my experience with many other "authentic" homemade Italian sauces. However, I look forward to trying yours!

Keep up the good work and see you in the fitness center!

-Andy

4:03 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Andy Thanks for the compliments!

10:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really cool blog. I dig the way you are incorporating lifestyle and culture.

Jake
http://grapethinking.com

3:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an American living in Sacile (near Aviano) and greatly appreciate your insight and advice. Thank you!

4:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Complimenti! Well done and nicely laid out.

4:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home